Pages

Monday, June 16, 2014

Oops moments


Yes, I have them too.

I was taking a couple of my tribe to a birthday party on Saturday. As I slowed to stop at a set of traffic lights I noticed a sign that said there would be highway collectors ahead. You know...people collecting for a charity. I think this one was for a local Youth Support Centre. I'm not adverse to donating some coins to charities, but my purse was on the floor.

However, as I came up to the lights I saw what I thought was a little kid about the age of six, dressed in reflective gear also collecting with the group. I announced, "Aww....I want to give some money to the little dude!" so I had my daughter pick up my purse and hand me my wallet so I could take out some change.

The "Kid" saw me as I wound down my window. I said "Hi" and he answered "Hi" back.

"Gee he's got a deep voice for a kid. Maybe he's got a cold"

He said "Thanks" as I put the change into the tin.....and that's when I noticed his hands.

Oops! That kid wasn't a kid. He was a young adult. Sometimes I am a little slow on the uptake. The voice should have been enough.

Cardinal Sin. I, a short statured adult, mistook a short statured adult for a kid. He obviously did not have achondroplasia like me. He was well proportioned, just very, very small and young looking.

Oops moments. I have them....and now have a little more understanding towards others who sometimes mistake me for a child.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It lets me know you're here and it really makes my day! :)