Our house was egged on Saturday night.
I don't like eggs at the best of times.
Evil little ovals of yuckiness! I mean, come on! Who was it who looked at what emerged from a chooks bum and said, "Mmm! Yummy! I think I'll eat that!"
But seriously, yes our house was egged to welcome the first official weekend of Daylight Savings. It's not the first time and it won't be the last. Our house isn't the only one in town that endures an egging once the longer days are upon us but I think it's the most frequently targeted.
For obvious reasons of course. Most hooligans know where we live and who lives here.
This egging was a pain in the butt more than anything as it had been a warm day and we had the window open. The eggs were thrown at the window so they hit the screen, broke and went onto the blinds and the curtains.
Little buggers.
It's gotten to the stage now where I just sigh, grab a bucket, mop and the hose and go clean it off before it hardens. Yes I've been to the police who have promised there will be more patrols but in the grand scheme of things I suppose eggings are not too serious in their opinion. They've got domestic violence and robberies and stabbings to see to. Totally understand.
We've had worse than eggs and times where they've entered our property and damaged our gates. These have definitely been reported to the police, who did actually step up patrols in the area.
I can't really tell you why I am no longer outraged or incensed or even hurt. Maybe I've just reached a stage of my life where I know that their actions reflect more on their character rather than mine. I know that we're targeted because we are a family of short statured people and the bullies think that's funny.....but for some reason I have moved on and it has no bearing on how I feel about myself and my kids and our place in the world. I know we belong and I know we're pretty cool people....and I'm sure that if these bullies actually swallowed their fear (because that's all it is, you know!) and took a chance to get to know us, they'd think we were pretty cool too.
And I really wish they would do that......
.....because cleaning smashed egg off windows and brickwork is a bitch of a job.


I'm so happy for you that you've reached a point in your life where you realise that these incidents aren't about you. Sure, they're mighty inconvenient and no doubt often upsetting. But they don't actually have anything to do with you at all. Some people are just dipshits who don't know any better. Be it because their parents didn't teach them that other people, and bear with me because I know this is a crazy concept, are people too. Or that different doesn't mean shit.
ReplyDeleteI suppose it'd be okay if you liked omelettes. Silly shits, I hope they grow up. I often wonder when you mention these things if the people who do them will later feel bad for their bullying ways.