Hmmm...this is going to take longer than I first thought. I have the knitting bug and I am practicing a LOT. I'm just finshing up an adorable little baby cardigan.
Trouble is, in my entire 40-something years I have only ever finished ONE item on my own....and that was over 25 years ago. I am only just getting back into the hang of things, working out how to mattress sew hems so they sit flat, pick up stitches along an edge to create a ribbed section. This first item I'm finishing is DEFINITELY a practice run. It's most certainly not a sellable item. This depresses me a little. I'm a perfectionist at heart and I want to get it right the first time round. However, I do appreciate the process of learning from my mistakes and know that once I get into the hang of things I'll be whipping up things of better standard.
I'm pretty excited about it.
I've been trawling Etsy, looking for patterns that are quick, cute and easy and also come with the permission of the designer to sell my finished work. Eventually I want to be able to create my own patterns.
I like this enthusiasm I feel. It feels like I'm onto something. I know I'm not going to become rich because of it but the thought of making things that make other people happy really does something for me.
See, this makes me want to go pick up my last half-finished scarf. I am self taught, and know very few stitches, but I do find it relaxing and I like the domesticated feel of knitting and, of course the end product. I am a bit of a perfectionist, too...maybe that is why I stick to the few stitches I can actually do without mucking it up.
ReplyDeleteooh - exciting! would love to see some pictures!
ReplyDelete