Pages

Thursday, December 9, 2010

The Pact

He and I seem to have this pact.
Do not acknowledge each other.
Under any circumstance.
I don't know why this is. It's stupid really. We even live in the same neighbourhood; around the corner in fact.  We went to the same church. We went to the same school for a while.
We went out....but when I say we went out, I mean we went to see Ghostbusters together. He asked me if I'd like to go to the movies. I said yes. We went.
We didn't "go out" in "that" sense.
After the movies he called me. Asked me out again. Asked me if I wanted to go to someone's birthday. I wasn't sure. It was all just too weird for my liking.
He went away...enlisted in the Navy. He'd write to me. I'd write to him. In letters I was able to tell him things I couldn't say to his face. I've always been like that. The written word is easier. I also hate the phone. Please send me an email instead of calling me.
See, at the time I was seeing someone else. I felt comfortable with the guy I was seeing. He was just like me. It was easy to believe that I was accepted if the guy I was seeing was just like me.
But this guy...he was.....normal (for want of a better word)......and I had always been led to believe that if a "normal" guy showed an interest in me then his motives should be questioned.
Question him I did.
He was kind of pissed off I think...that I was suspicious of his motives. He pretty much indicated that I was the one who had the problem with my difference, not him.
On reflection, and with the passage of time, I can see he had a valid point.
One day a letter arrived from him. A letter that contained photographs of him in his navy uniform.
That was the letter I never answered. It was all too much. You don't send photos of yourself to a girl if you don't have some kind of interest. It freaked me out.
Since then we have never spoken.
We seem to have this unspoken pact.
Do not acknowledge each other.
Under any circumstance.

4 comments:

  1. Excellent writing. I love the way you have sandwiched it between those two lines.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well written. I like your style of writing very much.

    I'm a quite new follower, and I found your blog via Baglady (thank you Baglady, you've got a great taste!) and I would like to invite you to check out my blog and become a follower. Do leave a comment if you'll stop by. Constructive criticism is welcome.
    http://crazythaughts.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stopped by on Badlady's recommendation. I really enjoyed this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is desperately sad and beautifully written. Great structure, really well expressed. The way you write has changed over the last month or so, nice to see you taking risks.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It lets me know you're here and it really makes my day! :)