Tuesday, May 12, 2015
31 Days - My earliest childhood memory
When I actively think back to the earliest memories I have I see them as hazy and full of sunlight - almost as though I am looking into the sun's glare on a bright winters day. I find myself wondering if this is what it is like for other people. Sometimes I see the same effect depicted in movies, so perhaps this is indeed so. I kind of like it. It fills me with peace, contentment and warmth.
If I push my mind as far as it will go I get an image of a very little me, standing up against a screen door, or a partition across a door. I can see cows and fields and grass. I know this memory is true. My mother tells me that she found me standing up against the door watching the cows once prior to my brother being born. My brother is 17 months younger than me so I must have been very, very young.
My next memory which is a little more definite and much clearer is that same brother and I sitting at the kitchen table eating dried apricots whilst our mother breastfed our baby brother. I would have been three. Eating dried apricots always takes me back to that time - a time of feeling safe and loved.
What are your earliest childhood memories?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to comment. It lets me know you're here and it really makes my day! :)