Pages

Thursday, November 22, 2012

What the photos don't show.

We gotta get us one of these!
I must preface this entry by saying that I don't resent what follows one bit. I'm simply writing it as a statement of what life is for us. All of us have accepted this reality and are at peace with it.

A trip to the beach is not easy. Once we're there and have secured our spot on the sand reasonably close to the water it's easier but the actual getting there and then packing up and heading home is, for me at least, exhausting.

Beaches are not made for wheelchairs; or maybe I should say, wheelchairs are not made for beaches. I have often said that some clever person should invent the "Hover Chair" so that one can just hover over the sand and stop at the waters edge if one wants a swim. I have seen a wheelchair with tracks like a tank which would possibly also do the trick but finances don't allow for anything so expensive, let alone something that would only be used sporadically and that we have no way of transporting anyway.

But no, wheelchairs are not made for beaches. However, I've never wanted the girls to miss out on a wonderful beach experience. As a family we've always loved the beach and I've never wanted the girls to ever miss out because their disabilities have posed a challenge.

And so I carry them down to the waters edge. I always have and, for as long as my body let's me, I always will. And yes it's exhausting, yes it's sometimes painful, but I've challenged myself to never let them feel as though having to do it is a burden to me. We've made it into a game on many an occasion; we've pretended we're the girls from Rabbit Proof Fence, trekking through the desert trying to get home. We've laughed. They know it's hard and I know they worry for me but it's more important to me that we have shared, happy family experiences together and I'd rather be uncomfortable for a short while than all of us miss out on something we love to do just because it all just seems too hard.

And I know the girls don't take it for granted. Between us there is a beautiful level of respect and gratefulness. I am so blessed to have such thoughtful, loving, positive kids. They make all the extra tasks that are part of their package into things I feel honored to be able to do for them, rather than being a burden. When they can, they try and make things as easy as possible for me. I look at them in awe sometimes because their positive, calm nature just astounds me.

So that's what you don't see in the pictures, but I'm kind of glad you don't because you see the important part; the greater part. You see a family just enjoying an evening on the beach.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It lets me know you're here and it really makes my day! :)