This is my word for 2012 - Kindness. I decided upon this word as 2011 drew to a close. I didn't want to make resolutions. I really don't see the point in them. Goals, yes. Hopes, yes...but resolutions no. As result I thought I would try something different - a one word theme for the year instead.
I decided upon the word Kindness for myself. Kindness towards others isn't a problem for me. I sometimes don't understand other people but try and put myself in their shoes, see things from their perspective and give them the benefit of the doubt. However I am terribly hard on myself. I expect so much of myself in action, thought, attitude and achievement. If I make a mistake I mentally beat myself up for it, regardless of the fact that my intentions may have been good. I'll work too hard, give too much, deny myself things so that another person can benefit.
It occured to me at the end of 2011 that I wasn't doing myself any favors. I needed to give myself the same breaks that I give other people. Saying "No"when I really can't do something or even don't want to is not a bad thing. It is being kind to myself. It is giving myself a break and the chance to rest, regroup and assert myself into a situation, rather than letting the circumstance or situation dictate my actions. Treating myself with a day of doing nothing but crochet and watching DVD's is not being lazy, it is having a well-deserved rest and a chance to relax. It is allowing me to refuel my tanks and renew my strength.
So far, so good. I guess it's been easier to be kind to myself as I'm on holidays and don't have to go back to work until January 23, but I have been really kind to myself since the beginning of the year. I've had "lazy days"where I've pretty much done nothing but sit around the house watching DVD's with the kids. I've baked yummy things, I've crocheted all day, I've been to the movies with a friend. I've been shopping with my daughters and sat on the beach eating fish and chips watching the sun go down. I've had to go into work once to train someone but I set boundaries on the time I spent there. I've had good conversations with my husband and we seem to have gotten somewhere in our communications.
Kindness is my word for 2012. It fills me with hope and peace. I'm really looking forward to seeing the fruits it brings.

I was just thinking about you today, Leisa, and here you are. I was thinking that is been ae too long since I stopped by for a visit and wondered how you are. Being kind to yourself, I hope!!!
ReplyDeleteKindness is perfect. The world needs a lot more kindness and t us easily one of my favourite qualities. x
It's a good word Leisa.
ReplyDeleteWe all need more kindness in all forms in our lives.
That's a nice blog. I agree to the message it conveys. You also have to be kind to yourself.
ReplyDelete