We had an absolute downpour yesterday - the first real soaking for Autumn 2015. Most of the time I was safely inside, watching it somply bucket down from my desk although I did head out when there was a break to do the banking and a postage run. The break didn't last long and I found myself sheltering under the eaves of the local shops waiting for another break.
![]() |
| Someone's gutters need cleaning. |
![]() |
| Zentangle by me! |
I also had a bit of a play with watercolours and fineliners last night - not with the greatest of results, but it was fun all the same.
I've also finally resurrected my trusty Nikon and started experimenting with photography again. This was inspired by a photoshoot a friend and I did together last week where we played with light and shadow.
![]() |
| Photo credit: M Coppolino |
The fact that my hair was a shambles and I had no makeup on didn't really matter in this instance!
![]() |
| Photo credit: M Coppolino |
We also played with reflections.
![]() |
| Photo credit: M Coppolino Taken from the reflection in the mirrors in the room. (also photobombed by Missy the dog!) |
Since these I've been trying to take my camera out on walks to capture things that catch my eye and remind me of how beautiful life really is. This has been really important to me lately. Through our screens we are being bombarded by so many negative images, so much hate and violence that it's easy to think that those images are what makes up the world. I've been mindful to turn off the news, not go to news websites or read the paper lately as I find it all too upsetting. My sister does the same thing, saying that those things are "none of her business anyway." I tend to agree.
I have to admit to applauding though when I did hear a news report talking about International Pillow Fight Day. Now there's a war I would support!
So, that's what I've been up to. I guess you could say I'm taking an active role in my own mental wellness. Over the past few years I have learned the value of self-nurture and self-soothing and I'm certainly finding it helpful right now.






This made me smile. I am so happy you are nurturing yourself, and seeing the benefits. That zentangle is amazing!
ReplyDeleteThanks Kim! I do enjoy art. Sometimes I forget how much I enjoy it, getting too caught up in how creations look, rather than just losing myself in the process. I often tell people, "Everyone can paint! Everyone can draw! They just get too caught up with making it look exactly right." I think sometimes I need to heed my own advice! :)
DeleteLove the idea of zentangles - bit like the doodling I do when I'm on the phone!
ReplyDeleteI think I'm hooked. I want to do more!
DeleteI've loved seeing your art and reading that it's helping you.
ReplyDeleteIt's very counterintuitive but I keep thinking, when I have time, I will do something creative like this..,
You should Carly! It's so calming and I find that art "brings me back to myself" again.
Delete