Pages

Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Never too heavy

Image credit
There's nothing like the hug you get after one of your kids tells you something that's been on their heart and mind for a while. You can tell by the strength of the hug that the relief they feel is wonderful - like a weight has come off their chest and shoulders and they feel so free again.

 It is a reminder to me to always be open, listen with an open heart, open mind and open ears; without judgement, making sure the words I respond with are measured and full of love. 

I don't ever want them to think that they have to live up to what I think is right and the right way to do things. I want them to forge their own path, embrace their own truth and know that they always have someone to come to who will love and accept them whatever path they are on. I don't ever want them to think that my agenda is more important than theirs. It's not. I want to listen when they have a conflicting opinion. I want to take their opinions on board when they disagree with me.

I want to be approachable, humble, teachable - even accepting teaching from those who are decades younger than I.

Today I had a win. No, it wasn't a win for me. It was a win for both of us. They approached me with a heaviness on their chest and I responded by instinct in just the right way for the situation. The relief was palpable. The understanding mutual. The love strengthened. 

Parenting actually never does end. It just takes on different forms. It's forever moving and changing and developing. I will always be needed as a sounding board, as a home base, as a source of assurance. 

The challenge is to remain open and approachable so that they feel that a situation is never too heavy for me to bear. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It lets me know you're here and it really makes my day! :)