Monday, May 14, 2012
Mothers Day in review
Yesterday was Mother's Day and I woke early, as always. For some reason I got caught in a whole lot of nostalgic reflection whilst laying there in bed and I found myself yearning for the young days of motherhood, where the kids would come bursting into our room, all excited and bearing gifts they had either made themselves or purchased from the Mother's Day stall at Kinder or school. Those beautiful hand painted cards and sachets of roughly tied potpourri were the most beautiful gifts ever received as they were given with such love and enthusiasm, accompanied by lukewarm cups of tea and cold toast - the best breakfasts ever! The children would all then pile into bed with us for hugs and kisses and we'd all lay there squashed together, chatting and giggling about nothing in particular and everything important.
Yesterday I missed those days so much; maybe because life has changed so much over the past five years or so to the point where it's no longer recognizable to me. Even though my children are all grown up I wanted them all to jump into bed with me for a short while and just stop time for a moment. I wanted to feel like Mummy again, even though I am so ridiculously proud of my four grown up kids and wouldn't change anything for the world! I love this new, adult and equal relationship we have, but sometimes I miss being Mummy in a time where the four walls of our home was our world and the backyard was an adventure playground; when a blanket over the table was our cave; when one of the biggest treats was a container of bubble mix and we blew bubbles in the front yard and watched them float around the neighborhood. I miss the times we would have picnics in the backyard and I would make them "surprise lunches"; when we would take a pail of chalk and make pictures on the footpath for the neighbors to see. I missed cutting and pasting and drawing and playdoh. I miss sloppy Vegemite kisses, and Thomas the Tank Engine and Barbie and The Spice Girls.
I know it sounds so cliche, but the days of them being little are over SO very quickly. I wish I knew that back then but I guess when you're caught up in the daily busy-ness you kind of lose sight of it and you don't have that perspective. Maybe that's why God made it so that we become grandparents - we get to sit back and enjoy them in every moment, rather than being caught up with getting things done. I hope I get to be a Nanna.
For Mother's Day celebrations this year we went out to the movies and then dinner afterwards on Saturday night. On Sunday morning, my youngest (16) presented me with a cup of tea in bed. My gift was the DVD set of Series 1 of The Sullivans - one of my most favorite shows when I was young. (possibly too young to be watching it). I squealed when I opened it. I spent all day watching about 20 episodes. It was like seeing old friends I hadn't seen in 20 years. We had a lovely, quiet day. I had all my children with me. I couldn't have been happier.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

This makes me feel like I need to treasure these 'young' years more than I do, Leisa. One day I know I'm going to regret wishing them away sometimes!!! x
ReplyDelete