Pages

Thursday, May 3, 2012

If the clothes don't fit, wear them anyway!

I wonder what it would be like to actually be able to buy clothes off the rack and have them fit perfectly? Tell me, what's it like?

I wish I had a dollar for the number of times someone has asked me, "Where do you buy clothes to fit you?" No people, there are no specialist stores where you are able to buy clothing exclusively for the vertically challenged. Oh I wish there was! Actually, I take that back. I'll handle the fact that I have to buy garments that need significant hemming if I could PLEASE find a store that stocked fashionable shoes in a wide children's size. If there were such a store I'd feel like I'd died and gone to heaven. Honestly. I don't own heels. Not one set.....save a pair of boots that have a two inch heel and they belonged to my niece....when she was EIGHT! I'm in a (Australian) children's size 12 in a wide fitting - very wide. You can't buy a decent set of heels in a children's size 12.

This? In a Children's 12? Tell her she's dreamin'!
As I write this I am dressed in a hotch potch of different clothes from different departments. My black leggings are three-quarter length size 10's from the girls section in Target. They're full length on me. My black dress is a girls size 14 mini dress from Big W. It comes to my knees. The jumper I'm wearing is a Womens Extra Small from K-mart. The body fits well....but there's 20cm of extra sleeve length I don't need so I have the sleeves folded and pushed up. They kind of look a bit bulky. *shrugs* My ankle length boots are some little beauties I found in Target the other day. Kids size 12's, flats. They're still a bit big, but the 11 didn't have the width I needed.  
I get jeans and pants altered. I've also taken to getting sloppy joes and windcheater sleeves taken up too. I've found that getting clothes altered to fit sometimes costs me more than the actual garments themselves. Strange thing is that when I get sleeves taken up they feel too short. Way too short. I guess having your cuffs at your wrists is normal, right? Doesn't feel normal to me.

Like I said, if the clothes don't fit wear them anyway.

2 comments:

  1. I was just moaning about this the other day.
    I am 5' 1.5 inches.
    I can't find clothes short enough.I can't find clothes big enough in the chest and small enough in the hips. I can't find a pair of jeans that don't need to be altered after buying them before I can wear them. All jackets, sweater, shirts etc need hemmed at my wrist. I can't wear dresses well because I am long waisted but have short limbs.So if it has a waist it ends up under my boobs. Nice look eh?
    I know this doesn't make you feel better but I wanted you to know that even though I am considered that horrible word "normal" it's not easy like you may think for everyone else.
    I spend twice the money on clothes. Because once I buy something then it must be altered. ALL THE TIME....no exceptions. That's even if I can find things to fit.
    But I can buy painfully high heeled shoes i admit that. :-)
    Hugs, from my short arms to yours Leisa!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I don't know. I'm six foot tall - they don't fit me either. x

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It lets me know you're here and it really makes my day! :)