Pages

Tuesday, November 16, 2010

The Lioness

When does the lioness instinct of a mother fade away?

Sometimes I wish it would.

When does the urge to protect them from physical, emotional and mental harm become less and you just let them fight their own battles, self soothe and move on?

Things happen to my kids....some small things that I can talk them through, let them work it out and move on. Then there are the bigger things that wake the lioness in me and I just want to roar and hit out and go into the battleground and fight for them, protect them, keep them safe from harm and damage.

I also recognise with these bigger things that happen there is an element that awakens my own pain...things that have happened to me where I never took the opportunity to fight back....or where no one stood in the gap for me and fought for my cause - where someone who was supposed to be a friend stood there and laughed along with the bullies, or a parent didn't step in and bring a situation up with teachers.

I at least want my children to know that their pain mattered to their mother.

But sometimes, in the midst of their pain, they say to me, "Let me handle this Mum." and I have to back off and let them work out their own solution. It doesn't stop the lioness roaring from the sidelines, wanting to leap in and rip and kill and maim with cutting words.

She hurts today.

I hurt for her today.

2 comments:

  1. Well written! You seem like a great mom, and I'm sure your kids know that and they love you because you stand up for them. But I think that parents should teach their children how to stand up for themselves and it seems to me that you did a great work there if your kids already know how to handle things without your help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely, balanced piece - and no, my understanding is that that instinct never goes away.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to comment. It lets me know you're here and it really makes my day! :)