You know how you have a blog post churning around in your head that is so different from anything else you've ever posted? Well, this is one of those. It's partly to do with being short statured, a lot of what it was to be younger me and a real lot to do with Christianity, faith and the reconciling of all of these within my own heart.
This post started forming when we had a visit from some friends in hospital. Christian friends. Friends we have had for a very long time. I love these people as though they were my own family, so this is in no way a criticism of them but rather the result of some heavy duty thinking in my brain space.
The daughter of my friend is the same age as my youngest so they have grown up together. She has recently acquired a boyfriend - a lovely young guy, friendly, polite, thoughtful. He's the kind of guy you would want your young teenage daughter to be with. I'm happy for them both - actually everyone is.
Having said that though there is much talk surrounding remaining chaste before marriage. They are chaperoned and there have been instructions not to even exchange a kiss before the age of eighteen. (she is not quite 16) Again, I have no issue with this and respect the wishes of the parents. As a parent myself though, I don't expect my almost-sixteen-year-old daughter to comply with these standards. In an ideal world, sure! It would be lovely to think that the first time she sleeps with her love will be on their wedding night, but I'm also a bit of a realist. My only hope is that she has one partner. Ever. Maybe that's me being an idealist.....
When I was a teen I remember going to church youth events where the main focus was on staying chaste and pure. No holding hands, no kissing, no touching and definitely, undoubtedly, no sex. Whatsoever. We had the fear of God put within us.
The trouble was there rwas so much focus put on keeping us all on the straight and narrow that there was no talk about what to fill the gap with. There was no talk about how important it was to love your teenager, how important it was for fathers to tell their teenage daughters how beautiful they were, to hug them, to cherish them. We. Just. Had. To. Be. Good! We were watched and told not to do it!
My parents loved me. I know they did. I have no doubt about it. They did the very best they could with what they knew. They tried to do the right thing and I will respect them and love them for all time because of that. But we weren't a huggy family. We weren't even big on "I love you".
And I needed hugs. Oh how I needed hugs. I needed to be told I was beautiful, or pretty, or lovely, or special....because all my other average sized friends were being asked out and were getting boyfriends and I wasn't. And I felt just like them. There were certain boys at school that I "loved" so much I though I would die but being different, there was no way they thought of me in "that" way. So I needed my Dad to hug me and tell me that I was pretty. But he didn't.....even though I KNOW he thought so. He was just a private man, self conscious. So he didn't tell me and I silently yearned for someone to hold me and tell me I was beautiful.
And then I met him...and he did all those things....and for once in my young life I felt beautiful and special and wanted and really, really loved in all those ways a girl wants to be loved. And, even though I thought I would go to hell (because that's basically what I grew up to believe), I slept with him at the tender age of almost-nineteen because I thought that an eternity in hell was a fair price to pay for the wonder of being loved and wanted and feeling beautiful. I didn't care. I honestly didn't care. I was loved. Or so I thought.
So when I hear these Christian parents laying down the law for their teen kids I can't help but think, "Yes, but what are you replacing those "No's" with? Are you loving your kids? Are you hugging them? Fathers, are you telling your little girl that she's the most beautiful girl in the world? Does she know that she's the apple of your eye? Are you getting to know them? Giving them time? Letting them tell you their hopes and dreams?"
And when you really think about it, is loving someone like that the worst your teen can do?
I know that doing all of the above is no guarantee that our teens will remain chaste until they are married. I kind of don't expect it anymore, but I do believe that it will go well towards helping them make more informed and thought out choices rather than simply giving themselves away because they are so desperate to be loved and cherished and feel special to that one special someone. I kind of have a feeling it may have helped me a little back then.....
P.S. LOVE YOU MUM AND DAD!!!
Thanks for sharing this, Leisa. I love it although I am a teenager myself.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the heavy thinking, it suits you.
Much love,
Sieni
P.S. I would love to discuss it deeper with you but I'd just rather not write essays in place of comments. I've done it before.
hi leisa.
ReplyDeleteyou are so right on. when i was younger no one told me anything special.. though i knew my parents loved me. when i became a mother, i made a point of letting them know how smart they are, how pretty (and handsome), what great people they are.. etc. my daughter, who is now 24, has told me i was the reason she never had sex in high school... because of my positive attitude about her, my openness. we discussed the emotional side of sexual situations. her friends were doing it.. but she didn't.... (until she was 20 and in a serious relationship - with a guy she is still with... he's been her one and only, and i will not be surprised that they marry some day....)
great post!
daphne
What a fantastic post. I grew up (it sounds like) alot like you. Everything was "wrong" and my parents like yours did their best with what they knew. I knew we were loved but hugs were not the norm. I was about 18 I guess when it happened and I've tried to talk to my daughter about it being special when your married. However, I'm a realist too and don't expect perfection. I do expect prayer from myself for all of my kids and salvation to be given to my kids. The day will come when they too will grow up and appreciate all we've been trying to tell them. Thanks so much for sharing this and I am now your newest follower.
ReplyDeleteThis was a beautiful post.
ReplyDeleteI know so many young girls who go to the wrong boy because they are just looking for love and validation. If received at home they generally will make better choices.
Your daughter is so lucky to have you Leisa.
Leisa - you really do live life on another level. I aspire to be as thoughtful, kind and wise as you are, I really do.
ReplyDeleteI don't believe in all this chaste business and I believe it can actually be an unhealthy goal. While I do believe that sex is for love, I don't think sleeping with someone just for fun is the end of the world either. It's all fine with me if they are both consenting adults and have thought through the consequences independently and, hopefully, together.
I just hope my children love the person they decide to have sex with and are treated with respect, dignity and thoughtfulness. I just hope that they have or don't have sex with someone only because of their own personal beliefs - not the peer groups' and not mine either.
You are a wonderful mother and I think children always respect the values of wonderful parents, regardless.
x