You know what I love most about exercise?
The moment it stops.
Oh...and the several hours following.
It's not always easy to slip on the running shoes, or pack my bag to head off to the pool. As a matter of fact when that alarm goes off at 5:45am four mornings a week I must hit the Snooze button three times on average. Bed is too warm and comfy and after getting up to the dog twice a night on average I really don't feel like getting up early.
But I do. And when I hit the road I'm still thinking, "Why the hell am I doing this?" But I keep going.
This morning I got that feeling when I faced the pool. I did not want to get in and do lap after lap. They keep the pool at a cooler temperature now. It's not too comfortable getting in.
This morning I did 20 laps of the 50m pool. It's boring. It's exhausting. I think I like running better because I can put on some tunes and zone out or concentrate on my technique or file away thoughts and ideas as I cover the k's. But swimming? Lap after lap of boring.
But that feeling after it's done? That's what makes it all worth it. That feeling of all your muscles having worked hard. The adrenaline is pumping, my head is clear. I feel pumped and ready for action. I get home and fix myself some breakfast and it tastes like the most delicious food on the planet. I feel so good after I've eaten.
My mood is lifted and there's a feeling of goodwill towards everyone. Plans are made with the rest of the family and they see me go off to work happy. It's easier to give out to them because I feel energised.
And that's why getting up early and pushing through the barrier of I don't wanna! is worth it. I feel alive.

No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for taking the time to comment. It lets me know you're here and it really makes my day! :)