Yesterday I did it. I smashed my 12km goal. I ran a total of 12.11km. The first 7km felt great, the next 3km I started to wane, the last 2km were hell.
But I did it. I ran 12km. It may have taken me 1 hour, 48 minutes and 4 seconds, but I did it - at an average pace of 8:56/km. Not bad, considering I dragged the dogs along who, for some part, we're not the most cooperative companions.
In some ways I can't believe it myself. Me, who once upon a time couldn't even run one lap of the school oval. Twelve kilometres! I can't even...what?
I'm setting my sights further now. My mind is already contemplating 15km. Not yet though. I want to be able to run twelve comfortably first. I thought I'd arrived when I hit ten...but now...the sky seems to be the limit and I have fantasies of one morning donning my running shoes and running across Casey county...then to the other side of Melbourne...then back again to the coast...then turning around and running clear across the country to Fremantle...a'la Forrest Gump. Now that would make the news.
I can see the headlines now:
Woman with Dwarfism runs to promote awareness!
Oh boy, that's got me thinking for Dwarfism Awareness Month - October 2014. Do I dare even contemplate it?
Do I?
I mean, my 2014 theme word is ACTION.
Why just think about it when you can put it into ACTION?
But first, I think I'll mull this over for a bit.

DO IT!
ReplyDeleteThere is a woman in my town who is a dwarf and her daughter is about 7 and almost taller than her. They had everything in their house customized to their height. She was the first dwarf I ever saw/met and is certainly the only one around town, if not the whole of the Blue Mountains. Since I've been reading you on OD, I think of you every time I see her :)
ReplyDeleteHope this didn't come across as disrespectful!
Definitely not disrespectful Jackie. :) It's nice to know my writing has promoted awareness.
DeleteHmmm...wonder if I know her?
I can't remember her name as we have only spoken maybe 5 times over the past 8 years! Awareness is important. Most of my friends are only aware of this kind of conditions because of "midget wrestling". Not okay!
Delete